Hailing from Indian cuisine, turmeric milk, commonly known as golden milk, is a healthy beverage drastically gaining popularity over Western cuisine. Thanks to its key ingredients, this drink is packed with nutrients, which will be super soothing and healing, especially on dreary winter days.
So, let us share with you how to make turmeric golden milk in our way, which is pretty convenient, delicious, and easy to prepare within a short time.
Actually, there is hardly a recipe here since the list of ingredients is very few. You can easily find all the required elements for this version of golden milk from around your pantry and customize it upon your and your family’s preference. Now, without wasting much time, let’s take you to our informative guide so you can try this without delay!
How To Make Turmeric Golden Milk- Step-By-Step Guide
Turmeric golden milk is a traditional Ayurvedic drink originally made with cow’s milk. Fresh/ground/powdered turmeric is the main ingredient, and some other complementary spices are being used to improve the calming and soothing properties of this milk.
Preparation time – 05 minutes | Cooking time- 05 minutes | Additional time- 05 minutes
Get ready with the required ingredients and equipment.
- One and a half teaspoons of turmeric powder (or else, you can use a 2-inch piece of fresh turmeric, sliced)
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon or 1-inch of cinnamon stick
- 1/2 a teaspoon of ground ginger or 1-inch of fresh ginger, sliced
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- Two and a half cups of milk of your choice (cow’s milk/ almond milk/ soy milk/ coconut milk)
- One tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil/ ghee/ butter
- One tablespoon of bee honey or maple syrup
- A small saucepan
- A wooden spatula or a spoon
- Mugs to serve
Add milk along with turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper, ginger, and oil (or whatever source of fat you use) to a small saucepan and mix generously.
Keep the saucepan on medium heat and simmer, stirring frequently. Once the milk starts bubbling in the corners, switch off the flame. Do not allow this mixture to boil.
Allow your milk to cool down for a while, and add your sweetener. Do not add bee honey to hot or warm liquids since it could kill the natural enzymes of honey.
Turmeric tea can be as healthy as turmeric golden milk. So, if you are interested in trying turmeric tea at home or to know why black pepper and a source of fat are used with turmeric-based beverages, click on this link and refer to our detailed article.
Do the taste check and add more sweetener if needed.
Transfer your milk into the mugs, sprinkle some more cinnamon powder if preferred, and serve warm.
Tasty Notes By SpiceRally…
- You can enjoy this turmeric golden milk any time of the day. But having it right before bedtime will be therapeutic, soothing and will have promising results on good sleep.
- You can use turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon in their fresh form or powdered form, depending on what is available for you.
- Choosing the milk is also totally up to your personal preference. If you are vegan, you can obviously reach out for plant-based milk. But it would be best if you choose unsweetened, unflavored milk.
- If bee honey or maple syrup is not available to you, you can use brown sugar, stevia, or even agave syrup.
- You can store any leftover milk in a glass, tightly-fitting bottle or a jar and keep it in the fridge for an additional one day. Reheat when you are ready to consume it.
Health Benefits Of Turmeric Golden Milk
Here’s a quick glance at the incredible benefits that you could get by consuming this milk regularly:
- It helps to reduce joint pain and inflammation
- Promotes good sleep
- Improves memory and brain function
- Curcumin in turmeric has mood-boosting properties
- Regular consumption can be beneficial in preventing heart diseases
- It might have properties that could lower blood sugar (try to consume this milk without a sweetener if you have high blood sugar levels)
- Contain antimicrobial, anti-cancer, antiviral, and antibacterial properties
- The combination of ginger, turmeric, and black pepper can improve digestion
- Boosts overall skin health