Feel the magic of the thick, irresistible, peppery glaze incorporated with juicy, tender chicken and greens. This is going to be the most epic homemade turmeric-black pepper chicken with asparagus recipe that you will ever try! Our recipe is so much better and more flavorful than any of those you tried at the restaurant. And it comes together effortlessly.
This combination of turmeric and black pepper with chicken will undoubtedly make the healthiest meal of the week. It is colorful, fragrant, delicious, and your family will never say no to it when you serve it with some rice, couscous, or quinoa. So, let’s get going with this dish!
Turmeric Black Pepper Chicken With Asparagus Recipe- Step-By-Step Guide
This protein-packed dish comes together in no time with the goodness of spices and greens. It is a quick stir-fry that will be great for lunch or dinner to serve as a complete meal.
Preparation time- 05 minutes | Cooking time- 15 minutes | Additional time- 05 minutes
Gather the necessary ingredients and get ready with the required equipment.
- 3/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked black pepper (or more to taste)
- One and a half teaspoons of ground or powdered turmeric
- One pound of skinless, boneless chicken thighs (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 12 ounces of asparagus (trimmed and thinly sliced on an angle)
- Three tablespoons of honey
- Two tablespoons of cornstarch or all-purpose flour
- One tablespoon of coconut oil
- One teaspoon of soy sauce or unseasoned rice vinegar
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup of water
- One lime, cut into wedges (optional)
- Two mixing bowls
- A medium-sized nonstick skillet or a pan
- Spoons for mixing
Mix 1/4 cup water with the black pepper, honey, and half a teaspoon of salt in a mixing bowl. Stir well and set this mixture aside.
Then, combine the cornstarch/flour, turmeric, and one teaspoon of salt in another medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the chicken to this mixture and toss until well-coated.
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in the nonstick skillet/pan. Now, add the chicken and cook until the turmeric is aromatic and the chicken is golden brown on both sides, two to three minutes per side.
While turmeric is an excellent addition to savory dishes, it also gives soul to many beverages. Turmeric smoothie is a drink you don’t want to miss out on! Click on this link and refer to the post for a complete guide on making a delicious turmeric smoothie.
Next, add the asparagus, season with salt, stir to incorporate and cook for one to two minutes until the asparagus is crisp-tender.
Add the honey mixture and cook, mixing, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened, for about two to three minutes.
Remove from heat and add the soy sauce/vinegar and mix. Do a taste check and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Squeeze some lime juice over the top if you like, and serve!
Tasty Notes From SpiceRally…
- Although we have used three tablespoons of honey in our recipe, you can adjust the amount if you prefer less sweetness.
- You can use canola oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil if coconut oil is not available with you.
- Feel free to use the vegetables of your choice- you can follow up with some thinly sliced green beans, bok choy, carrots, onions, tomatoes, spinach, kale, green peas, etc. Add them while you add asparagus into the cooking skillet.
- If you need to switch this into a vegetarian dish, you can swap chicken with tofu. Or else, for more meat options, you can try this with tender parts of pork, beef, lamb, or even white fish or shrimp.
- We have used chicken thighs in our recipe, but you can also use chicken breasts, legs, or wings, depending on your preference.
- Serve this stir-fry with rice, noodles, vermicelli, quinoa, couscous, or even with pita bread.
- You can refrigerate any leftovers in a tightly-fitting container and reheat them when needed.