Among Mexican foods, burritos are personal favorites of many as they are versatile and do not confine just to one particular taste. Beef, pork, cheese, rice, lettuce, onions- whatever goes inside a large tortilla just makes the perfect punch to be savored any time of the day. Burrito seasoning is one ingredient that is combined with the filling to add an extra kick to this wrap.
Burrito seasoning basically includes spice, flavorings, and herbs such as:
- Ground cumin
- Cayenne Pepper
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
Does this condiment only make burritos tasty? Well, we have explanations for all your questions regarding this seasoning right here. So, let us share a unique guide merely about burrito seasoning with you.
What Is Burrito Seasoning Made Of?
Is burrito seasoning made of burritos, or is burrito made of burrito seasoning? Ah- it may seem like a confusing question. But, in fact, the simplest answer to this question is that burrito seasoning is a blend of many spices, flavorings, and mainly one herb, which is basically used to flavor the filling that goes in burritos.
However, the term “burrito seasoning” is given to this condiment mainly because it was initially invented to season and flavor the inside filling of the burritos. But, over time, many cooking experts found out that it could give life to many other Mexican-based dishes too.
The blend of several flavorful and pungent spices can make the mix warm, powerful, and somewhat spicy. Accordingly, it is the perfect addition to dishes like wet burritos, beans, Mexican rice dishes, nachos, beef burritos, chicken burrito bowls, tacos, etc.
In order to get the best flavor, burrito seasoning mix include ingredients such as:
- Ground cumin – This spice is the key ingredient of this seasoning. When other elements quantify like half a teaspoon or 1/4 a teaspoon, like two teaspoons of ground cumin are usually used in the mix. This spice gives an ultimate uniqueness to this condiment.
- Cayenne pepper – It is primarily added to get the hotness and color to the seasoning.
- Paprika – Paprika is one of the mildest red pepper powders of all, giving the perfect bright-red color and flavor pairing well with cayenne pepper.
- Garlic powder – The taste of garlic powder is unparalleled, and it combines excellently with all the other ingredients in this condiment to give a uniform flavor.
- Black pepper – A small amount of ground black pepper is included to provide warmth and counterbalance the spiciness of the burrito seasoning.
- Oregano – When considering all the other spices in this mix, oregano is apparently the best herb that combines well with them.
- Salt – Most store-bought burrito seasonings contain salt, and so do the homemade recipes. In fact, salt makes this mix a ‘real’ seasoning.
Is Burrito Seasoning Gluten-Free?
If you are purchasing the store-bought- ones, we should state that most of them are not gluten-free since they contain wheat flour in them. To check this, you will have to read the table of ingredients.
And, if you want it to be gluten-free, the best option is to make your own burrito seasoning at home so that you can omit wheat flour and replace it with cornflour or cornstarch if you really want that texture.
Can I Use Burrito Seasoning For Tacos?
Burritos are actually like a larger version of tacos since it is a wrap made of wheat or corn tortillas as the base. But, burritos are more versatile than tacos as you can use various ingredients as the filling, like rice, meat, cheese, vegetables, and many more.
However, there is no fault in using burrito seasoning for tacos, and most of them really do it when they run out of taco seasoning.
Simple Homemade Burrito Seasoning Mix
Burrito seasoning packets can be purchased from the store. But, still, people are now more interested in making their own batch of this mix at home since they can have control of the amounts of ingredients that go in it- what you usually cannot do with the store-bought ones.
Therefore, here is a simple burrito seasoning mix that you could try at home. In this recipe, you can alter the quantity of salt and even the pepper powders that go in according to your taste preferences.
- Two teaspoons of ground cumin
- One teaspoon of salt
- Half a teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Half a teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoons of garlic powder
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until everything is combined well together. Use immediately or keep stored in an air-tight container until required. Add this in with your favorite burritos, Mexican rice dish, or tacos!
Mccormick Burrito Seasoning Mix Ingredients
McCormick Burrito Seasoning Mix is a leading readily available brand that is popular among many consumers in a lot of countries. So, if you ever wondered about the McCormick burrito seasoning ingredients, here is the data we found from their official website.
- Chili Pepper
- Enriched Wheat Flour
- Modified Corn Starch
- Cheddar Cheese
Mexican food lovers never resist a flavorsome burrito that is tasty and healthy at the same time. The filling that goes inside the tortilla wrap can simply be anything you like, and when it is mixed with the burrito seasoning, it is just everything you need for the mood!
The burrito seasoning in ingredients usually comprises several spices and a herb variety that pairs well with all the flavorings. You could either buy it from the shop or assemble one of your own using the ingredients that we have mentioned on top.